Whats a good welding machine for starting out? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Whats a good welding machine for starting out?

Ryan Neeley

I'd like something that is easy to use from my home, something that I can learn how to weld with. Can you point me in the direction of what you recommend please?

I prefer Miller. If at all possible, get a 220 machine. The 110's are Meh. They work but not as well as your going to want. The Lincoln's aren't too bad. I had a small Lincoln 125 for some years until I got my Miller Matic.

The lesser machines are normally Flux Core. You will want to step up and get an Argon/CO2 tank. If you get a flux welder, make sure it can be converted. That normally means just connecting a tank and switching polarity. Flux welding works but is a bit tricky and spatters everywhere. Another nice feature is being able to load a full size spool. Some of the cheaper machines will only hold a small spool.

Make sure you get a good Helmet. I prefer not to have the controls on the outside. I tend to knock my helmet around and I would break outside knobs.

BTW
Welcome to the rabbit hole we call fabrication.