Tires and extreme hot surfaces | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Tires and extreme hot surfaces

Bacon Boy

For those of you that drive across super hot roads and surfaces, does the rubber on the tires break down quicker during such extreme heated surfaces?

Sort of.
Compound will have more to do with it. Softer tires tend to harden over time when driven. I ran mud grapplers on my TJ. You could tell the difference at about 50% tread. Harder compounds, it wasn't as noticeable.
Average tire temperature running down the highway is close to 200 degrees at the tread. Hotter on hard turns or higher loads.

Interesting, had no clue on that. But kind of not surprised. I bet in Death Valley those roads must be extremely hot!

So quick question, do you think asphalt peak of summer is more brutal to your tires or offroad trails?

That's a hard call. I would rip chunks off my Nitto's every time out. I don't do as much tire spinning any more but my area has volcanic rock and granite. When i compare my street vehicle to my dirt vehicle, I tend to get more life out of my street tires.

Silt from sand and some dirt's leech the silicone out of the tire. This causes it to dry out and crack real quick. I haven't spent any time around clay so I can only comment on what I have out here.
I'm sure if its 120 degrees and your on asphalt, you can add that to your tire temp.