Spare tire or not spare tire? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Spare tire or not spare tire?

TerraTamer

Hey all, I'm moving to a larger wheels, but if I go to larger spare, it's going to create problems. Do any of you NOT have a spare tire?

This happened on a smooth dirt road about 4 hours from home. Never found what I hit.
If your vehicle came with a 28" tire and you went to 31". That's pushing it if you need to drive on the freeway.

Open diff and part time, Put smaller on front.
Older open diff vehicles will heat up the rear diff over time at high speeds, unlocked front hubs will just pull to the smaller side.
The electronics on newer vehicles will yell at you. Worse case is you pull the ABS fuse.
Limited slip will burn out over time because of the constant slippage.
AWD will burn out the transfer case center clutch over time.

Damage wise, depends on the vehicle and the difference in size.
Even if you have a full sized spare, I recommend you carry a good Tire Plug Kit and a Glue Tread just because.

tire 1.jpg

Still haven't used it. I doubt Glue tread would hold something like that. If it was a gash I believe it would work.
Glue Tread is the only part of my kit, I haven't validated. I just hope if I ever need it, it does what everyone says it does.

Not sure how it would fair on this sort of hole, but you want to watch an impressive trail test with these patches, take a watch to this:

Balls-y move. Not sure I would have stabbed my tires, but it goes to show how certain they were of how these patches would work.

This happened on a smooth dirt road about 4 hours from home. Never found what I hit.
If your vehicle came with a 28" tire and you went to 31". That's pushing it if you need to drive on the freeway.

Open diff and part time, Put smaller on front.
Older open diff vehicles will heat up the rear diff over time at high speeds, unlocked front hubs will just pull to the smaller side.
The electronics on newer vehicles will yell at you. Worse case is you pull the ABS fuse.
Limited slip will burn out over time because of the constant slippage.
AWD will burn out the transfer case center clutch over time.

Damage wise, depends on the vehicle and the difference in size.
Even if you have a full sized spare, I recommend you carry a good Tire Plug Kit and a Glue Tread just because.

View attachment 263

Thats one heck of a whole you got there in your tire!

So do you need to wash the tires rubber in order to get a good seal with that glue patch? What is you are in the desert and no water around and tire is DAF?

I guess if you cant clean it properly, your driving out flat. I haven't had to use my Glue tread yet but I assume its the same as patching the inside. Clean and prepped right are mandatory.

Oh yeah these patches are crazy cool. Here is original video a friend sent me a year ago. This shows how these are applied:

Gotta have a spare. I'm not oppose to these patches. On the contrary, I like the idea. But once you make it to pavement you need to have spare anyway. These patches are not DOT approved for highway use. But then again I guess you can call tow truck at that point, or if you really need to, crawl to closest town.