Spare tire or not spare tire? | Page 2 | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Spare tire or not spare tire?

This happened on a smooth dirt road about 4 hours from home. Never found what I hit.
If your vehicle came with a 28" tire and you went to 31". That's pushing it if you need to drive on the freeway.

Open diff and part time, Put smaller on front.
Older open diff vehicles will heat up the rear diff over time at high speeds, unlocked front hubs will just pull to the smaller side.
The electronics on newer vehicles will yell at you. Worse case is you pull the ABS fuse.
Limited slip will burn out over time because of the constant slippage.
AWD will burn out the transfer case center clutch over time.

Damage wise, depends on the vehicle and the difference in size.
Even if you have a full sized spare, I recommend you carry a good Tire Plug Kit and a Glue Tread just because.

View attachment 263
You running bead locks?

The problem with bead locks for most, is that they are very heavy and most don't need them. My brother has a rig that he set up, thought he needed bead locks, spent more $$ on the wheels and that truck of his never saw any rock crawling that required bead locks. But they looked cool though! Last year he sold those wheels and bought a set of Method rims. Saves him $$ on fuel and these new wheels look bad ass too.

I agree there, most people don't need them. This is why I have fake ones now. Also most shops wont touch them and I wouldn't want them to. I've run Method and Walker Evans bead locks. The Methods were actually very light, the Walker Evans were heavy as hell. The biggest issue I've seen is people don't understand how to torque the rings properly. Too much and you ruin the rim. The other issue is on a race truck, the tires get changed out so much you wear the threads out in the rim. On my buddies truck, we spent almost an entire day drilling and putting inserts in.
As much as I like bead locks, I don't have a reason to run them any more. Not worth the extra work.