Rhino Pull 1000 portable electric winch? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Rhino Pull 1000 portable electric winch?

Trail Mule

I've been toying around with the idea of having a secondary winch that would be portable that I could put into the rear hitch of my rig. A buddy of mine stumbled upon and told me he didn't know the company however it looked interesting. I googled and it's found on a website in Florida called "Mile Marker". This is pretty interesting, 1000lbs and portable with its battery in it. What they don't show is how long this battery will last for. They point out it has a 24V 2.5AH lithium battery with power indicator, but no mention on how long that will last. Actually just noticed below in the bullet points they now say it has a 2.0AH battery. OK.. someone needs to proof this before selling these things.

Are there any alternatives out there of these things?

No experience with this brand, but you should look up 'WARN PullzAll', which you can pick up for $225 on Amazon

My question is, what do you actually need it to do?
I'm assuming you are actually considering a 1k winch and didn't leave a zero off. The 1k off road winch's are more for mounting on your ATV. My buddy uses a 2k to pull his race car onto the trailer.

When you size a winch you take your total vehicle weight and double it Most 4wd's are going to be 4k-7k in weight. This is why popular winch size starts at 9k and up. From there it depends on your terrain. I have stalled my old 10k winch pulling a 5k Jeep out of mud. My winch's draw 300-400 amp under load (max, continuous). With 400ah of battery (LA or AGM), you get around 30 min's of winching. FYI, the better brands will allow 15 mins (ish) of continual pull before overheating. The cheaper, less.

I'm not telling you not to have a portable, I'm just recounting my experience with them. At one time I wanted to go down the "portable winch" road. If your determined to run a rear winch, tuck it up underneath.
There use to be a winch called Sidewinder Winch. Very narrow profile and was the preferred winch for rear mounting.

I have known people who wanted to keep their winch on a portable mount. This way they could slide it into a hitch mount front and rear. On both, the winch was very heavy. I'm guessing over 100 pounds including the heavy mount plate. Not only was this a literal pain to install and remove but on the one vehicle I knew, it stuck out far enough that he kept hitting it on mild up/down hills. He eventually bent the mount. It was difficult enough to mount that he just left it on the front when we went out.

I've never heard of Rhino pull. but I believe there's two Chinese companies making cheap winch's. I say that because in the cheap winch market, I've only seen two diffrent designs. The only down falls I saw beside low quality parts, they seem to be a bit over rated. If I bought one for my vehicle, I would go up one size. I have also never seen someone wear one out. What I mean here is, I have never seen someone use one enough to burn it out. During my time doing AAT work, I've seen a few winch's over used including my own.

With that said, Mile Marker are good winch's.

If you hunt, this could be helpful as well. For me, it's tempting. I'm not exactly sure how I would use this. But it's hand held and battery powered. But 1000lbs isn't all that much. IDK.