Question about repairing a tire | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Question about repairing a tire

Pam H

We just had a tire repaired from a nail. How long are these sort of repairs good for? General rule of thumb, should we count on needing to replace the tire at some point?

If so, should this be done sooner than later to avoid, one new tire and three that are moderately worn?

Lets :assume" they actually repaired it correctly. The repair will go the life of the tire. Repaired correctly you will loose some load and speed rating. Fortunately we don't go over 100 and off road tires normally have a higher load rating then we need. So your good.

Most of your big chain tire stores do a good job training, I cant say the same for anyone else. How well a tire is repaired is based on a couple of things. How well they were trained and shop policy. I want to say my record for repairs on one of my tires, was 14. That was mostly cactus thorns. Out here, its illegal to do more then 3 repair's on a tire.

If it still looses air, the nail was in the sidewall or the hole was bigger than 1/4", look at a new tire.

100% agree, if the repair was done correctly and assuming you aren't driving a super sports car, that repair will be good for life of that tire

Last tire I had repaired, last entire life of the tire. Now keep in mind this was a tire on a truck. Like Pado pointed out, not a sports car, so didn't travel at high speeds.