Performance radiator and transmission cooler for towing? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Performance radiator and transmission cooler for towing?

Ken S

We pick up our camping trailer this week and I was just thinking about the hot summer months and towing this thing around. Are there any performance radiators and transmission coolers that work well for those that tow? Enough temp drops to make worth the purchase and install?

Most of the factory radiators are fine, I prefer Derale Coolers for transmission. I would route it radiator then cooler. If you live in extreme cold, the radiator brings the trans temp up. If you don't you wont kill the trans with just a cooler. I do strongly recommend a trans temp gauge. The trans temp should be kept under 180 degrees. 200 is ok, 220 is pushing the limit. As you push higher you start to quickly break down the trans fluid. If that happens you burn the trans. At 250+ it looses health fast and 300 is death.
My 04 TJ ran around 220 stock and would hit 250 easily once I lifted it. It took two big coolers and the one in the radiator to bring it under 200. My Cruiser on the other hand came with a huge external trans cooler. Towing my trailer, it might edge up a bit over 190 on a hill.