MPG with 35" tires and adding 4" lift? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

MPG with 35" tires and adding 4" lift?

Ryan Snow

If you already have 35" tires on your rig, and you add a 4" lift, will this negatively impact MPGs? Technically the resistance point hasn't changed much other than more of the under belly is exposed. But much of that is pass through air flow. So would there be any negative effect with adding a lift?

If you do the math the answer is yes. The people who do the math will leave out just how much it actually changes. With my vehicles, the difference is so slight, I don't see any change. If one wanted to debate it, diffrent fuel blends based on where you buy gas will have more impact on milage.

The lift will have way more effect on handling and little on milage.

Handling will be worse? I didn't think it would be that off. When you say blends, are you talking about about 91 shell vs 91 mobile?

Handling could be better or worse. Based on the original suspension design, raising or lowering changes geometry and center of gravity. How it reacts is all about what you do and how its originally designed. I've driven vehicles that handle horribly but the owner thinks its fine.

I bought an 04 TJ some years ago. 4" springs and shocks. It was almost undriveable at 60 mph. The lift was professionally done, but not done correctly. I rebuilt everything and when it was done it actually handled better then stock. with about 6" of lift and 35 inch tires.

Fuel wise, its all about additives. A good example is alcohol. The more they put in, the lower the milage. Summer vs winter blends also. What's sad is most of the additives put in are due to politics and data based on a 70's vehicle. If you live in a state that runs just gas without alcohol, you not only get better milage but you put out less emissions then the "clean" alcohol based fuel.