How to tell what size diesel heater to get? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How to tell what size diesel heater to get?

WandereR

I've seen a video from this website showing a diesel heater getting used in a trailer heating the rooftop tent. The guy was using 2kw Planar diesel heater. I went to look these people up and it looks like they offer heaters in a number of sizes, however it looks like 2kw and 4kw are the most popular. If I want to heat a large tent, will the 2kw be enough or should I get the 4kw one?

standheizung-portabel-china-billig-test-mobil-dachzelt-heizung-heizen-zelt-wohnwagen-diesel-002.JPG

A tent has a much less isolation than a vehicle. I do often see those

https://amzn.to/3WBR5G5 with 5kw on severall vehicles.

I did collect the available options about park heating units, it looks like that the fully assembled units (with tank, remote control) starts with 5kw too.

trippin

$159 for a diesel heater? Boy that is a big price difference from the Planar ones I was just looking at. Huge price difference actually. Have you tried that heater?

I know 3 overlanders who are using them. Not the same quality than a planar - but usable with just minor updates…

No support Centers, no repairs from a validated mechanic, but you even can get spares.

Look at the picture, for more into my blog. No longterm experience available, ;-)

Unless the tent has any decent R value (insulation), you are going to want something with some kick to it. I would go with a 4-5kw heater.

So those of you sleeping in a ground tent, where would you mount one of these heaters?