Battery management with shore power and solar? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Battery management with shore power and solar?

4x4tripping

classic-battery-setup.jpg

At 2011 - I did a DIY project a 2nd Battery by myself. A capable but very heavy and bulky energy system for around 35kg. Did serve my needs from my transafrica till south america, even when I did use two Engel 15l compressor Fridges as Freezer/Fridge Combo.

Today we can buy those "all in one" LiFePO4 Battery systems, who are lightweight, capable and powerful enough.

Here an buildup example by a ecoflow battery - a delta2:

How to charge
Cigarette lighter socket (100 watts),
110/220v shore power (1200 watts),
Solar Charge Controller: 500 watts (11-60 V, 15 A)
optional: by 12v «dc dc booster» (example with 240 watts at xt60 Port)

What can it power up?
2x USB-C with 100 watts
several USB-A connections
4x 110v/220v sockets 1800-2400 Watt
12v cigarette lighter socket 12.6V 10A (126w Max)

Article: How we can use those portable LiFePO4 Battery systems in our rigs
https://vanlife.4x4tripping.com/2022/10/vanlife-off-grid-battery-solution-with.html

Today I`m not able anymore, to buildup a battery by myself, who delivers the same power, need similar space (bulkness), and weight.

If we try to add as diy Projects the components
- Battery
- shore power charger 1200w
- 110/220v 1800w Sine Inverter
we did already exceed the weight, size - and we dont even had fuses, plugs, battery computer, app and all those connectors. USB-C with 100w is hard to find.

trippin

Wait, you built a battery?! That is awesome! Honestly I've not heard anyone doing that. You know, there's another guy on here you should connect with, he's always building all sorts of cool stuff. "Smritte" I want to say is his screen name. Something tells me you and him will geek out fast. Impressive.

Jumped over to your blog and booked marked it! Good stuff. That Ecoflow Delta2 LiFePO4 battery box is something pretty amazing.

classic-battery-setup.jpg

At 2011 - I did a DIY project a 2nd Battery by myself. A capable but very heavy and bulky energy system for around 35kg. Did serve my needs from my transafrica till south america, even when I did use two Engel 15l compressor Fridges as Freezer/Fridge Combo.

Today we can buy those "all in one" LiFePO4 Battery systems, who are lightweight, capable and powerful enough.

Here an buildup example by a ecoflow battery - a delta2:

How to charge
Cigarette lighter socket (100 watts),
110/220v shore power (1200 watts),
Solar Charge Controller: 500 watts (11-60 V, 15 A)
optional: by 12v «dc dc booster» (example with 240 watts at xt60 Port)

What can it power up?
2x USB-C with 100 watts
several USB-A connections
4x 110v/220v sockets 1800-2400 Watt
12v cigarette lighter socket 12.6V 10A (126w Max)

Article: How we can use those portable LiFePO4 Battery systems in our rigs
https://vanlife.4x4tripping.com/2022/10/vanlife-off-grid-battery-solution-with.html

Today I`m not able anymore, to buildup a battery by myself, who delivers the same power, need similar space (bulkness), and weight.

If we try to add as diy Projects the components
- Battery
- shore power charger 1200w
- 110/220v 1800w Sine Inverter
we did already exceed the weight, size - and we dont even had fuses, plugs, battery computer, app and all those connectors. USB-C with 100w is hard to find.

trippin
So at that weight was that an AGM equivalent?

My old DIY 2n Battery Project from 2011 was 35kg, with cables, 12v Booster, 110/220v Inverter, Charger, Solarcharger. Did use an AGM 95 AH Battery. Just the 12v Booster was/is slightly stronger, anything else is outperformed with those new portable Battery Solutions.

Yes, we dont have Anderson Plugs, we cant use stronger 12v devices directly. But on the other side we have 2x USB-C with 100w and can power up directly gear like Notebooks, Drones, Cameras and so on. So it fits pretty perfect for us travellers in normal size 4x4.

For big trucks with "the need" of fire up 12v aircons or 12v hot water boilers - there are other solutions comming to the market, which I did try too to mention in the article.

trippin

Wait, you built a battery?! That is awesome! Honestly I've not heard anyone doing that. You know, there's another guy on here you should connect with, he's always building all sorts of cool stuff. "Smritte" I want to say is his screen name. Something tells me you and him will geek out fast. Impressive.
Ha! I was thinking the same thing. Both are MacGyvers!

4x4tripping - well done bud!