Teardrop clearance for off-road? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Teardrop clearance for off-road?

Jared McDaniel

A buddy was just asking me on recommended clearance he should get for a teardrop he wants to buy. He's shopping around for off-road ready teardrops and wants something that has the clearance. I told him that is a loaded question. What do you recommend?

Tires is where most of it comes from. If you have an independent suspension, you have more.
I run solid axles. My trailer axle is 3" diameter, my tires are 31's. My cruiser axle is 5" diameter and I have 33's on it.

if you do the math, both vehicles have 14" of clearance not counting the differential on my cruiser. I look at it this way, if I can drive over it, the trailer will clear. For me, that means there's no benefit to independent unless I changed something.

My question to him would be, how hard core are the rocks your driving through? If he wants to crawl with it, he's going to want 35's on the trailer and a skid on the tongue.
My M-100 trailer saw Rubicon and Dusy. My tire size was a bit over 34"

Tires is where most of it comes from. If you have an independent suspension, you have more.
I run solid axles. My trailer axle is 3" diameter, my tires are 31's. My cruiser axle is 5" diameter and I have 33's on it.

if you do the math, both vehicles have 14" of clearance not counting the differential on my cruiser. I look at it this way, if I can drive over it, the trailer will clear. For me, that means there's no benefit to independent unless I changed something.

My question to him would be, how hard core are the rocks your driving through? If he wants to crawl with it, he's going to want 35's on the trailer and a skid on the tongue.
My M-100 trailer saw Rubicon and Dusy. My tire size was a bit over 34"

M-100? Is that one of those old school classic looking military trailer?

yep. 1941
here it is when I first got it in the late 80's before all the mods

Attachments

• CJ7 and Trailer.jpg
    CJ7 and Trailer.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 3
Oh and OP - Anything over 12" in my book is good clearance. Most trailers for offroad will have upwards of 20'ish inches of clearance.

Considering it. My group is going out. A bit difficult to get time off right now. Gonna try though. I'll send you a message if I can fo.

BTW. Did you make it to the Overland show in Pomona a couple of weeks ago? If not it was much better then the fall show for overlanding stuff.

Considering it. My group is going out. A bit difficult to get time off right now. Gonna try though. I'll send you a message if I can fo.

BTW. Did you make it to the Overland show in Pomona a couple of weeks ago? If not it was much better then the fall show for overlanding stuff.
Please do, would be great to meet up again. No I didn't. I was down in San Diego at another show. I heard good feedback from others that went. You doing much camping this winter?

I've only gotten out a couple of times this winter. Camping wise its a bust. The last two day trips were ok. Last month I was doing a winching/extraction class. The wind blew so hard I had to end it. Didn't even want to stay the night. last weekend was our Calico trip. It rained, hard, so that turned into a play in the mud day trip.

Brother I hear you! I only made it up a few times myself. Were you up there in your trailer or tent?