Offroading & Recovery's GONE WRONG | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Offroading & Recovery's GONE WRONG

This make me wish I could have recorded some of the things I've seen.

Did you know if you get a good running start while using a chain to unstick someone, the chain could brake, cave in your tail gate and blow through your back window?
Attaching a tow strap to your front bumper can mean the bumper will tear off because you installed said bumper with sheet metal screws?
Making sure your winch is properly lined up with what your pulling so the cable doesn't end up on one side jamming the winch?

My personal favorite of all times
Narrow (1 lane) road on the side of a steep valley. Jeep #1 somehow ended up 100 foot down in the ravine. Jeep #2 was pulling him up.
1. Neither Jeep had a cable long enough to reach so they tied them together.
2.Jeep #2 could not face straight towards other vehicle causing cable to bind on one side,
3. When they got eventually got Jeep #1 to the top, then realized they couldn't get it up on the road. There was no room.
4. They burned up Jeep #1 and #2 winch in the process. Did I mention the winch killing the crap battery in Jeep #2 right off the bat? They borrowed a battery from one of the vehicles watching this.

Now we have Jeep #1 hanging by both winch cables and Jeep #2 unable to move because Jeep #1 is holding it in place (with a non working winch). All the time, the road was blocked and anyone trying to drive this route had to back up until they could turn around.

I came in during the middle of all this. The first thing I asked was, how are you going to get the vehicle over the edge of the road. You cant get far enough back? The response was, we know what were doing.

This happened on the Holcomb Creek trail in Big Bear Cal. In case you ever drove it.

What most of this teaches some of us is, just because you have a winch and watched videos, doesn't mean you actually know how to use it. You just cant fix stupid but, it sure is fun to watch.