Putting rooftop tent on teardrop trailer - center of gravity problems? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Putting rooftop tent on teardrop trailer - center of gravity problems?

BillyBob

My wife and I are starting to consider options for a trailer. The key points that we both have agreed are:

1. Sleeping comfort/family friendly?
2. Washroom/toilet
3. Kitchen/ability to cook and do dishes

One of the first options we are looking at is a teardrop style trailer. If we add a rooftop tent which will make the trailer more family friendly, will we compromise trailer road safety because center of gravity is now shifted higher?

I'll address the toilet question in another thread as I believe it's deserves its own thread. Most of the teardrops we are looking at have running water which solves last concern.

My M-100 had the tent on top. Not as high as my teardrop, but the top of the trailer was slightly heavier than the bottom. That trailer saw some aggressive trails. I was still careful when it came to side hills. My tear drop doesn't get treated as badly but I still drag it through places most wont. I wouldn't have an issue putting a tent on top but being higher then my M-100, I would be more careful.
Obviously, the narrower the trailer the more you need to be careful as well as how soft the suspension is. This is where I start considering body roll on corners. If you wanted to stiffen up the suspension for this, I suggest adding in a set of airbags. I have them on my teardrop as well as the normal springs and they rock.
My question would be, how aggressive are your trails?

There's a toilet I remember seeing that dehydrates your 'stuff' and doesn't stink. It was green, and you know what, I'll see about finding that thing.

How small is this trailer? Most trailers should be fine with a roof top tent. Actually most are designed to have one on the roof. Just don’t go taking turns at 200MPH

How small is this trailer? Most trailers should be fine with a roof top tent. Actually most are designed to have one on the roof. Just don’t go taking turns at 200MPH

We haven't finalized which one we are going to get yet. The above questions (which I'm grateful for all the answers in this thread) are part of which direction we are going with.