Fix to death wobble on Jeep? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Fix to death wobble on Jeep?

Tripping4x4

A buddy of mine just picked up 2018 4 door Wrangler and that truck has some issues. He is asking how to fix death wobble. I don't have the first clue, if you can help, please let me know here. Thank you in advance.

They make steering brackets that hold the pump in place. Synergy I seem to recall is the name of the company

If it is actually death wobble, its a reaction seen mostly with solid axle vehicles. Especially those with high caster. There's many things that set it off but once you have it, it trash's some of the components.

The main piece that controls it is the Panhard Rod. Those bushings need to be in excellent shape. I normally replace it with something that has at least one hiem joint. The Panhard also needs to be at the exact same angle as the steering drag link.

Once it starts, it destroys the Panhard bushings, trailing arm bushings then the tie rods and ball joints. The gear box isn't very happy either. All of these need to be checked.

"If" the vehicle has had the trailing arms replaced, you need to check Caster. High caster amplifies death wobble. Anything over 3 degrees can be bad. I brought my cruiser up to 6 castor and fought death wobble until I brought it back down to 2.5. Now all is good.

Last edited:
So, with all these complaints and death wobble actually a term used to describe Jeeps, why hasn't Chrysler fixed this?

To start its a solid axle issue. jeeps problem is a long story staring in the beginning. Chrystler is a whole can of worms in itself. You add in lawsuits that never should have happened, and you get the modern Jeep.

Another issue is the way American cars are manufactured. Problems are not rectified unless absolutely forced. Even then their mostly bandaids.
Most of the money and mod's I did to my TJ was to fix the poor engineering.

Hold on and hit the brake.
All of the ones I've diagnosed happened 40-45 mph with it not being an issue at 50 mph and higher. I had 1 exception that came in about 20mph. By 30 mph it was completely undrivable.
I have heard of people having it happen on the freeway. Having extreme death wobble at 45 is bad enough.

Yes and no. It depends on how bad and what speed. The vehicle normally goes straight. At times on my TJ, it was so bad the tires were coming off the ground. Most of the time it shakes side to side and your steering wheel turns back and forth so fast its a blur. The longer it goes, the worse it gets. Eventually the tires start to bounce off the ground.

If anyone wants, I could type out exactly why this happens. The tutorial would be long and dull. This is a subject I cover extensively in my suspension class because it happens more then anyone wants to admit.