ReGear or not to ReGear the gladiator?? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

ReGear or not to ReGear the gladiator??

Carbon Dude

I feel more power is needed and right now this has 4.11's in it. But thinking for last 2 months about moving up to 4.88 or 5.13. Really on the fence and putting this out there to see where the wind blows me. :cool:

5.13's only if you are pulling a lot of weight or doing some rock crawling. Those 4.88's should be good for you.

For me, 35's are the line. I'll run 4.88 on 33-35. Our modern overdrives do a good job on the freeway. besides, you shouldn't be doing 90mph with 35's anyway.
37's I do 5.13 and a brake upgrade.
Its not just the size but the weight and rolling resistance.

You need to drive vehicle like yours with stock tires. See what RPM's you do on the freeway at 50,60,70. Do the same with your current tires. Your ideal gear will put the rpm slightly higher than stock. This is to make up for the larger/heavier tire.

Didn't think of this till now.
What front diff are you running? Dana 44 is good to 5.13. Dana 30, 4.88 is as low as you want to go. The problem is the pinion gear gets smaller as you drop ratios. 5.13 in a Dana 30 is asking to break something unless you drive easy.

What front diff are you running? Dana 44 is good to 5.13. Dana 30, 4.88 is as low as you want to go. The problem is the pinion gear gets smaller as you drop ratios. 5.13 in a Dana 30 is asking to break something unless you drive easy.

Really? Are you referring to rock crawling or would be OK with general offroading with occasional obstacles?

Those numbers are the rough strength limits. Obstacles are fine, just keep the tire spin down.. Tire size also plays a big factor. Not knowing the person asking the question, I answer on the side of strength.
Years ago, myself and my friends went through a pretty expensive learning curve. I had a long conversation with one of the guys over at Currie. The weren't really doing much in our sport yet but he told me about what I should and shouldn't run and why things broke. I always err on the side of strength now. If I choose not to, I at least know what parts to keep an eye on.

Agree, 4.88s are the perfect in the middle of the road ratio. If you go much further, the MPG tank and 4.88 is a nice balance between both worlds.

That's a difficult question. In reality, just putting bigger tires should void warranty. When I was at the dealer, we didn't care. If you modified anything and something broke due to the modification, we made you pay for it. If you put bigger tires on, don't look for warranty on anything driveline, steering or speed related.

An example was a guy who put on a supercharger. Another dealer warrantied an axle and a trans. He came to us looking for warranty on his engine. We told him no and he filed a complaint with the factory. They sent out an inspector and voided his entire driveline warranty. Then they debited the other dealer for repairing a modified vehicle under warranty.

The manufactures warranty is based on the stock vehicle. Its for parts that are defective not modified. Most of the mods we do are overlooked. You just have to be smart about it.

What is the stock Rubicon Gladiator Dana 30 or 44? I honestly have no idea.

Looks like all the late models are 44. In the past only Rubicon had 44.
On the other hand, TJ Rubicon is actually a Dana 44 ring and pinion with Dana 30 axles, hubs and bearings.

Sport (and Sport S)4x4NV241 Command-TracDANA 44 (216 mm)DANA 44 (216 mm)
Mojave4x4NV241 Command-TracDANA 44 (216 mm)DANA 44 (216 mm)
Overland4x4NV241 Command-TracDANA 44 (216 mm)DANA 44 (216 mm)
Rubicon4x4NV241OR Rock-TracDANA 44 (216 mm)DANA 44 (216 mm)

Looks like all the late models are 44. In the past only Rubicon had 44.
On the other hand, TJ Rubicon is actually a Dana 44 ring and pinion with Dana 30 axles, hubs and bearings.

Sport (and Sport S)4x4NV241 Command-TracDANA 44 (216 mm)DANA 44 (216 mm)
Mojave4x4NV241 Command-TracDANA 44 (216 mm)DANA 44 (216 mm)
Overland4x4NV241 Command-TracDANA 44 (216 mm)DANA 44 (216 mm)
Rubicon4x4NV241OR Rock-TracDANA 44 (216 mm)DANA 44 (216 mm)

Good to know information! Thank you for sharing this!