Gas vs diesel for conversion van build? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Gas vs diesel for conversion van build?

Doug E

Curious to hear from others on this. What are the pros and cons to gas vs diesel motors in conversion van build please? I know diesel is supposed to be better for torque, are there any other benefits of diesel?

Mileage can be better but fuel price is higher. Not sure if it balances out. A modern gas engine will out torque an older diesel. Some motors are way better over all then others. It's difficult to find a bad gas motor but not so with diesel. Engine choice is something that has to be looked at for dependability.
A problem I've seen over the years is people tend to have brand loyalty and ignore the issues the diesel engine has. They just accept it.

The 6.0l Ford is a perfect example. Total pile of crap but people love them.

That brings up a good question on diesel prices. Diesel for longest time was cheaper than unleaded gas, why is it priced higher now?

They can be. You just have to accept them leaking half way there. The engines last, seals on anything don't live that long.

Thank you. We are looking to have one built, but plan on towing a trailer from time to time. So power is important. Torque rather.

I would go with the diesel, the difference in cost is minor compared to the torque you gain from the diesel engine.