How much spare fuel do you carry? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How much spare fuel do you carry?

Frost Bite Jack

I noticed another thread here about rotopax and had me thinking today about my spare fuel setup. How much are you carrying and what is your process for rotating the fuel before it goes bad?

I carry up to 15 gallons. Commonly its 10 and obviously short trips is zero.

I normally drain a can when my fuel gauge drops 1/4. Commonly I do it at camp. I don't like having that much weight on the rack while I'm off road. If there's any left at the end of the trip, I dump whatever fuel is left in the cans into the vehicle before I hit pavement.
I do the same if I have my Tacoma. I try to empty the cans as quick as possible. Anything left when I get home is put in whatever vehicle needs it

Generally speaking between 4 and as high as 16 gallons. I have a horrible reputation of cutting it close with fuel!

Just 5 gallons right now. I'll likely pick up another 2 soon. But then again, this has worked for me.

We have 2 of those two gallon fuel containers, but they have been sitting in the garage for the last year! Still need to figure out a good spot to mount them on the truck.

We have 2 of those two gallon fuel containers, but they have been sitting in the garage for the last year! Still need to figure out a good spot to mount them on the truck.
I picked up 8 gallons total between two 4 gallon Rotopax I ordered last year. But just ordered a 2 Gallon for water.

4 gallons, but you all have me thinking of possibly adding more. Where are you all storing the tanks on your rig?

We had just 4 gallons for the longest time. I did in December order another 4 gallon, which I have yet to figure out where it's going to be installed.

Can can always pony up and go for long range fuel tank, there you can get upwards of 20 extra gallons of fuel.