Painting vs wrapping a 2022 Promaster 159 High Roof 2500 Van | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Painting vs wrapping a 2022 Promaster 159 High Roof 2500 Van

Erik Kaffehr

We are now the proud owners of a 2022 Promaster. It's just a cargo van right now, but we are going to send it off to get done up in May. But for now the exterior is boring white and I want something with a little life to it.

Considering painting it a flat OD green or having it wrapped the same OD green. What are the pros and cons of wrapping? Paint is pretty straight forward, it's the wrap I'm unsure of. How long will that last?

If the paint on it now has no issues like large chips, small dents... the wrap will look good. The wrap will show most flaws unless done in a light color. If there's issues, light sand and polish with fix most.
Repaint on the other hand is problematic. To get a quality paint job (no bodywork) is easily 2-3 times a wrap. Inexpensive paint jobs will be lucky to go 2-3 years. High quality will go a bit longer.

I'm fair at painting. I need to repaint my Cruiser. My problem is, no paint booth. If I had access to one, I would still spend an easy 50 hours prep/paint and about 3k in paint/primer.

I'm seriously considering just touching up my paint, smoothing it out and wrapping it. It will cost me about 2k for a wrap.

Remember it will cost $$$ to remove the wrap after. If the van is left outdoors, it won't last much more than 2-3 years in the sun.