Who starts a fire with ferro rod? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Who starts a fire with ferro rod?

TerraTamer

OK, so I have watched a few videos on YouTube today and noticed these people starting fires with ferro rods. I don't know a single person who starts a fire with ferro rods.

Do you?

Me, when I can. Mostly to stay in practice. Takes longer to set up a fire so most of my friends get impatient.
You need the correct size, I prefer 1/2 diameter. The small ones are just toy's.
Most of the U-Tubers do it to make themselves look cool. In reality its more work and way faster with a lighter. Most of the guys in my group have small propane torch's to start fires with.

What's funny is I have a ferro-rod because I saw others using it. I tried it a few times and now I have 3 lighters that I use. I'm one of those people that just don't have the patience for it. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah I have one, but have only used a few times to see how it works. I have a couple of lighters in the rig and torch for those wet days.

Why when I have a lighter that will do it with less effort. Sure if you don't have any other options then use it, but I don't see the need.