Towing camping trailer with a 2023 Subaru Forester | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Towing camping trailer with a 2023 Subaru Forester

Travis

My wife just bought a 2023 Subaru Forester and I have to admit, this thing (still not sure to call this a car or truck!) is pretty slick! She is talking about wanting to get a camping trailer for it, its better on gas than my rig. But doesn't have tow capacity. What sort options are out there that are lightweight? Ideally under $25,000.

Well I would find something under 1000lbs to give yourself a little bit of room before you hit your tow capcity of that car. Weight adds up pretty fast and before you know it, you can easily be over the limit.

It comes with a variable transmission and a 1k-3k towing capacity with a class 3 hitch available. I don't know if anyone can tell you if the trans will be happy towing at all. I agree with Fast Lane, something in the 1k area.
Here's a small tear drop.
Sunnyside
Another option is a small trailer with an RTT. This picture is my old one, loaded it was 1100 pounds.

IMG_0085.jpgnight3.jpg

Amazing what you can put on a small trailer like that! How does that pull on the freeway?

Very well actually. The biggest gain towing was loosing the military axle and going with a modern one. Your modern axles have a bit of camber and toe put in them. That lets me get away with a shorter tongue and less tongue weight.

Does DMV consider that a utility trailer? Meaning you have a permanent plate for it? Tongue weight for that can't be much?

Its actually a 1949 military, its registered as special construction. So, yes, I'm sure they still call it utility
Tongue weight wise, I center my axle under the load giving it zero tongue weight. The weight of the tongue and whatever I put on it is the actual weight. I run about 30 ish

My wife just bought a 2023 Subaru Forester and I have to admit, this thing (still not sure to call this a car or truck!) is pretty slick! She is talking about wanting to get a camping trailer for it, its better on gas than my rig. But doesn't have tow capacity. What sort options are out there that are lightweight? Ideally under $25,000.

Are you after a teardrop or expedition style trailer?

We want to get a trailer, but have been shopping around on what was available. So where are you all storing your trailer?