Tire Repair kit recommendation | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Tire Repair kit recommendation

Pado

OMG, just realized my my kit is at least 15 years old, not used in ever, so I'm guessing it might be a good time to get something new. How long are these kits usually good for before they dry out and just be worthless?

Speaking which, what's a good brand to go with these days?

I'm going to assume your talking about tire plug kits.

I have two brands, safety seal and an off brand i don't remember the name. When I look at kits, there's a few things I look at
1. Plug material. I prefer the brown, sticky rope looking plugs over the black rubber type.
2. Tools. You need a good reamer and plug installer. If those look like crap, they may break.
3. Case size. My Safety Seal kit is huge. The tools are big "T" handles. They work great but I had to incorporate the tools with my main tool bag. The rest of the stuff went in a smaller pouch. My off brand is in a small pouch with decent small tools.

My safety seal kit is at least 15 years old. The plugs are still in good shape. You can also get replacement plugs If your tool's are still in good shape.

Tire patch's on the other hand, I do at work, not in the field. I found the big name brand stuff to be the best over all.