Overlandish Base Camp vs Shiftpod III vs Russian Bear UP5 | Page 3 | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Overlandish Base Camp vs Shiftpod III vs Russian Bear UP5

Any photos of the new one you can share?
There are pics on the website

If you want more lemme know

I never click on links in forums or social media (sorry just never know where things go), but I did just go to Google and found your website. Interesting looking tent you have. Reminds me of my buddies Shiftpod tent, but his is more of a lighter color and for the life of me I can't recall what his window situation is. He loves that thing, but I seem to recall he had issues with the door on it. While on topic of these sort of tents, I can't see how anyone would want to even fuss with traditional tents with all the weaving of the tent poles and this and that when you have tents like these that just pop up into place. That same friend has a Gazelle t4 tent that pops up in a flash. That orange thing you can see from a mile away! We give him so much guff when he breaks that tent out. It's a pumpkin! :ROFLMAO: Putting aside the color, for whats its worth, I would go with the Gazelle over the Shiftpod tent myself. Just seems like a better design IMHO. BTW have you all tested the weight that roof can take? I saw someone ask about all season worthiness, if you are out in snow, is there a way to prevent the weight from sending the ceiling caving in as if to store it away? I mean it's designed to go inwards right? Not sure if there is a lock you can use or does it require a bit of weight to get that to close up to start with? Damn, this turned out to be a lengthy post!

I never click on links in forums or social media (sorry just never know where things go), but I did just go to Google and found your website. Interesting looking tent you have. Reminds me of my buddies Shiftpod tent, but his is more of a lighter color and for the life of me I can't recall what his window situation is. He loves that thing, but I seem to recall he had issues with the door on it. While on topic of these sort of tents, I can't see how anyone would want to even fuss with traditional tents with all the weaving of the tent poles and this and that when you have tents like these that just pop up into place. That same friend has a Gazelle t4 tent that pops up in a flash. That orange thing you can see from a mile away! We give him so much guff when he breaks that tent out. It's a pumpkin! :ROFLMAO: Putting aside the color, for whats its worth, I would go with the Gazelle over the Shiftpod tent myself. Just seems like a better design IMHO. BTW have you all tested the weight that roof can take? I saw someone ask about all season worthiness, if you are out in snow, is there a way to prevent the weight from sending the ceiling caving in as if to store it away? I mean it's designed to go inwards right? Not sure if there is a lock you can use or does it require a bit of weight to get that to close up to start with? Damn, this turned out to be a lengthy post!
Hey there! Lots of questions in there but I’ll give it a go!

So the shiftpids are actually reflective which in theory only work to reflect the sun on the outside and do nothing in the winter. But by the laws of thermodynamics final temp will be reached eventually no matter the color of the surface so while our black tent will reach final temp quickest our grey tent will follow about 10 min later and the reflective tent about the same as the grey. So color wise it’s all about preference as the advantage of one over the other is minimal. If anything that means our black tent will be warmer in the winter - if it is you wouldn’t feel it lol.

The only similarity between the basecamp and SP is the shape after that everything is different.

Our fabric is a pu5000 material there is no tent more durable or more water resistant. Our fabric doesn’t scratch or dull the way reflective material does our poles don’t snap as they aren’t graphite or carbon. Our floor is inset with the zipper 18” from the edge to keep dirt and grim away and to keep the tension away from the zipper. We have more ventilation 6 windows 2 doors and three roof vents and one of our windows is massive!

As far as weight on th roof we’ve had customers tell us snow doesn’t bother it. One customer had 8” up there and it was fine. There are plans to make a center snow pole or even a pole lockout but we haven’t had anyone have a failure yet so it’s not high on the list at the moment. It requires a good bit of force to bring it down and also while it’s about 10 lbs of force at the center when it snows that weight is evenly dispersed so it can take a lot more than 10lbs.

We love question so keep ‘em coming! Or you can email me at [email protected]

Mark