Is a Sprinter good for towing? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Is a Sprinter good for towing?

Pam H

We have a trailer that we currently tow behind my FJ. We have been talking about getting a Sprinter as our neighbor has two of them, my sister in law just bought one last November and we see them around alot. We have gone camping with my sister in law a few times and every time I find myself in their van getting something from the fridge and just love the home on wheels feeling. Well that and the running water, toilet and shower. They don't tow with their Sprinter, so leads me to asking here. Are Sprinter vans good for towing?

These vans are already heavy, I wouldn't go towing a lot. That's just going to be strain on the not so huge motors in these things. Granted you can re gear the van for greater lower end benefits.

I'm not familiar with sprinter but at my old shop we worked on motor homes and conversion vans. It was very common for the outfitted vehicle to be close to max GVW once you fill it with water and fuel. The manufacture tends to give specs for a hollow shell with no mods.

I would see what the vehicle weighed loaded, then look at capacity. I'm not saying the manufacture is misleading people. I'm saying what they say and what reality is can be two diffrent things.

I'm not familiar with sprinter but at my old shop we worked on motor homes and conversion vans. It was very common for the outfitted vehicle to be close to max GVW once you fill it with water and fuel. The manufacture tends to give specs for a hollow shell with no mods.

I would see what the vehicle weighed loaded, then look at capacity. I'm not saying the manufacture is misleading people. I'm saying what they say and what reality is can be two diffrent things.

Such a good point. I have seen people with these decked out and towing small cars or 2 door wranglers. I think some forget that GVW is for the shell and every mod they add chips away at that. So by the time they go strapping on a car in tow, they are way over where they should be.

You want to tow something, get a truck. I wouldn't tow with a van. Nothing heavy at least.

My neighbor tows his jet ski with a 2021 diesel 170. Let me clarify, he has two jet skis on that trailer.