Do you believe there such a thing as too much light at camp? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Do you believe there such a thing as too much light at camp?

Frost Bite Jack

I read a review this site had on the Goal Zero Skylight a few weeks back and over the weekend saw that light was in REI, so I bought it. Well I tested this thing out and WOW, this light is very bright. I'm seriously wondering, is there such thing as too much light? This is definately the brightest light I have ever owned. The only downside is that it's too big to go into your tent. Would be cool to see Goal Zero come out with smaller version that can then be used in the campers tent.

Can they be dimmed?
Setting up camp or cooking, I want bright. I learned last year, I can dim my Devos. With 2-4 spread around the perimeter, on low was the perfect amount of light and the battery lasted longer.

As mentioned, when setting up camp in the dark, or when cooking/cleaning dishes, lots of light is great. Otherwise, we have all lights off outside and use the campfire. Once done outside for the night, we go in and just use enough light to read by.

Can they be dimmed?
Setting up camp or cooking, I want bright. I learned last year, I can dim my Devos. With 2-4 spread around the perimeter, on low was the perfect amount of light and the battery lasted longer.

We just got one, and they can, but only through presets. Not a sliding dimmer. You have 4 different light intensity settings with these lights

Battery longevity is my biggest pet peeve when it comes to lighting. Most lights batteries die quickly and that drives me up the wall. The problem with brighter lights is that they chew up a lot of power.