Check your lug nuts after dealer visit!!! | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Check your lug nuts after dealer visit!!!

Travis Craig

The truck was at the dealer last week for warranty work. While there I got a call asking if I would like them to rotate my tires. I stated to go for it. Today I noticed a couple of my valve step covers missing. Then something told me I should check the lug nuts. NO JOKE, I grabbed one with my fingers and moved it! There were a total of 4 lug nuts that were NOT tight! Man, not happy about this at all.

So moral of the story, don't trust people that worked on your tires, take a quick minute and check your lug nuts!

FYI on people using torque specs.

Its better then it was but, there's still a ton of untrained people out there. Normally, the people doing tires and oil change's are the entry level guys. Very commonly, their just stuck there with no training or oversite. This is do to the very common "Idiot Manager". If you apply for a job at any type of shop, its possible the manager wont vet you. They expect you to already have decades of knowledge.
A good manager will put someone with you to properly train you. This is more common today then yesterday.

Imagine someone who has been in the field for 10+ years. No training, they just "figured it out". I spent 3 decades working around that type.
It doesn't matter what kind of shop, it all comes down to training and attitude.

I have investigated several wheels that "came off" every one was over torqued. This causes the wheel stud to snap like a rubber band. It then causes the ones next to it to do the same. I've also investigated ones that were loose. None of them came off but they all wallowed out the lug holes.

The tight ones were all done by experienced techs, the loose, beginners.

two things.
1. Report it to the manager. Not the service writer.
2. Check the wheel holes for damage.

My wife had oil change done a few years ago, right before the pandemic started. Normally I do, but she was there and decided to have them do it. She gets home asking why car was smoking at red lights. Turns out the oil dipstick wasn't put back in the car and oil was coming out!

So good post, tell me about it!

My wife had oil change done a few years ago, right before the pandemic started. Normally I do, but she was there and decided to have them do it. She gets home asking why car was smoking at red lights. Turns out the oil dipstick wasn't put back in the car and oil was coming out!

So good post, tell me about it!

That could have gone wrong really fast