Whats a good GMRS radio? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Whats a good GMRS radio?

Fly Guy

Hi everyone. Looking to purchase my first GMRS radio. Can you make some recommendations to me please?

Midland for a mobile. I have 2.
Handhelds depend on you. I have a few diffrent ones. The one I loan out is Retevis. Quality business grade radio with everything preset. My Baufeng can be a pain if the programming gets changed in the field.
Ive heard good things on Rugged but haven't owned one.

Rugged makes good radios but don't offer a remote unit. For those who don't have room in the dash, your limited on options. Midland offers a radio with the display on the mike. For me, I mount the radio under the seat and run the mike cable to a blank switch port. Now I plug my mike in when I need it. I do the same with my Ham radio. I only buy ones that have a removable face plate. That way I can remote the radio.

What's more important is the antenna and where its mounted. When my group gets distance between us, you can tell which antenna and mounting positions are better.
You can have the best, highest powered radio but, if your antenna, coax and mounting position aren't ideal, you loose distance fast.

I know they go back into the 70's. They made mostly CB, Business and some Ham radios. I would think their at least one of the biggest.