Weboost effective range? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Weboost effective range?

Vincent Peri

Do these work from line of sight or what is best range to expect? I know many offroaders use a Weboost, and I'm looking at their different options. Just trying to figure out which I'm going to get and have a good understanding of what to expect.

Thanks gang

Most of my friends run them. I just haven't gotten one yet.
Range wise, its not like most people think.

With my current set up (remote. not in town) if I have between 1-2 bars, there's a good chance I can text. Two bars for sure. More than 3 bars I may be able to check e-mail, 4 to full, Email and possibly voice.
At work, I have 1-2 bars I can text and can talk if I have 2 or more. Just because you can get a signal, doesn't mean your phone can reach the cell tower. This is why I can communicate at work with less bars but remote is diffrent. Remote I'm farther from the tower but I have less deflecting, bouncing, interfering with the signal, like I do at work.
The Weboost moves the antenna outside. The bigger and farther away from your vehicle the more antenna "gain" you have. That in itself is a massive improvement. If you get the small low profile antenna, it will be better than not having one (less gain) but if you get the big antenna and put it above your vehicle, its way better but, may have an issue with trees
To add to all this, the unit slightly amplifies the signal both ways. There's laws regarding how much power your cell system can put out and the Weboost is right at that limit. The antenna and placement is most of it.

Range wise it depends on what antenna, how and where you mount it and do you have line of site on the tower or is your signal having to somewhat "bounce". If theres no signal, there's nothing to amplify. You get nothing.

The system I'm getting is the "Overlanding" set up. The difference is, the antenna folds down. It will be mounted high and folded in the forest. I expect to loose about 50% folded but it will still be better then no amp and no outside antenna.

Mine will be hard wired off the ignition. I believe most of my friends are the same but I never really looked.