Toyota owners - what tools are you carrying? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Toyota owners - what tools are you carrying?

I have a drawer in my Cruiser just for tools. My Tacoma just gets a few basics. The Cruiser goes on long trips where the Tacoma doesn't wander too far.

Cruiser. Full 3/8 metric socket/wrench set including gear wrench's. Screwdrivers, metric allen's small prybar, large hammer with a short handle and a long punch. Odd specialty tools just for the Cruiser. Volt gauge and a small wire repair kit.
Fluids wise, 3 quarts of atf (can use it in everything except brakes), a bottle of headgasket/block sealer, two tubes of aluma seal.
I carry a portable spool gun welder. I haven't welded a vehicle back together in years. Old habit I guess.

Both get a hydraulic bottle jack. They both get a special thin impact socket for the lug nuts. Most people dont know that the factory lug wrench wont fit custom rims. They make the lug holes smaller. About Hydraulic jacks. Years ago I started carrying hydraulic jacks. I learned quickly that large bottle jacks may not have the reach you need to get the tire off the ground. I buy 3 stage jacks otherwise it either wont fit under or wont lift high enough. I wont use a Hylift. they have their uses but the bottle jack is smaller and can be used for more things beside tire removal.
They both get two tire pressure gauges, digital and a stick type backup as well as a multi tool.

I'm sure I've forgotten something.

My Cruiser tool kit is based on things I've needed over the years. Most of the repairs I've done on the trail were other people. I also do all of my maintenance and repairs using the tools in my vehicle (to a point). This is how I know what to carry.

Here's my tool bag. The company that makes it is called Blue Ridge. This is all the hand tools except the Hammer and electrical kit.

IMG_3710.JPG

Last edited: