Tailgate storage | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Tailgate storage

smritte

As most of you know, space can be a premium in our vehicles. Some of us tend to overkill our gear for the "what if" situations. One of mine is my recovery gear. I know I don't really need two tow straps, two kinetic straps, tree saver and two winch blankets. I do need my assortment of clevises, winch pully and two pair of gloves. Maybe not so many tiedowns but at this point who's counting?

A couple of weeks ago I decided to move most of it to a tailgate storage then I saw how much they cost. ARE YOU KIDDING? So buying one is out.

Unfortunately, I somehow erased the pictures of my template, cutting the tailgate, installing the hinges and latch's.
So, 10 gauge steel, amazon stainless hinge's, stainless latch's, two gas supports and a big piece of cardboard for the template. That's what's missing...Sorry.

I covered it with the same outdoor carpet I used for my rear pull outs. It does flex a little when I stand on it but my 200 pounds doesn't seem to bend it. As you can see, I managed to squeeze everything in there except my tiedowns, those are in a tool bag behind my second seat.

Rear storage 1.jpg Rear Storage 2.jpg

Damn, that looks great. Funny thing is that the left photo you can't see the seams of those cavities. Nice work pal.