Sleeping in the car vs sleeping in a rooftop tent? What is better? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Sleeping in the car vs sleeping in a rooftop tent? What is better?

The car will be better in winter as it is warmer and it won't flop around in the wind. The tent is great in summer as it is much cooler. Sleeping in a car can take up interior space if you set it up the wrong way though

A rooftop tent I s great for the feeling and very nice in summer as it is much cooler than the car. It has the drawback of being terrible in the wind and it does get cold easily. I would say have a rooftop tent on your vehicle but make a second sleeping setup inside so you can dip in when the weather is horrid

Completely depends on your preference. Can you fit in your car comfortably to sleep? Can you get a mattress in there? If not, then rooftop tent is going to have major benefits.

if you have a large enough car then you might enjoy it in there. Plenty of space and you do feel a bit safer especially in areas with wild animals. At the end of the day a tent is just canvas it wan't protect you that much

I have a pickup so sleeping in the truck in not an option. Even with a wagon though if you have a lot of stuff in the back it will be hard to find space to sleep in there

Well it depends on the truck. For example I find the 4th gen 4 runner very comfortable. It may also be because I am a smaller bloke.

I would choose the car because it feels a bit safer than the tent. Incase anything happens you just jump in the drivers seat and leave

I have slep in the car a few time and have been perfectly comfortable. It is a new Nissan Patrol though so it has a lot of space