Securing a tent in sand with high winds? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Securing a tent in sand with high winds?

ZMAN

We have a upcoming camping trip directly on a beach right on the ocean. Going to be a blast, however it just dawned on me that the wind is going to be a @#$#% and my normal tent stakes will likely get ripped out of the ground as that sand is going to be a pain from an anchoring standpoint. Should I use sandbags to weight down the tent? What are your thoughts on this? It's a large Gazelle tent, so I'm sure the wind is going to LOVE this thing.

Thanks for your help.

Do you plan on doing more beach camping in the future? If so there are speciality stakes made for sand that would be a good investment. If you don't plane on doing any further beach camping in the future, back in the day we would use empty plastic milk jugs full of sand, even store bags full of sand and anchored through the handles.

I agree.
Sand stakes and if the sand is too loose, sand bags.
I would also put sand bags on the inside corners

Thank you all, well we plan to go back if my family likes the experience. What can you suggest?

Google "Ground Grabba", they make what you need. Little pricey, but they are built extremely strong and they hold like your life depended on it.

Google "Ground Grabba", they make what you need. Little pricey, but they are built extremely strong and they hold like your life depended on it.
Thank you, driving right now, will look at these when I get home.

My wife got me a couple sets of Neso ground screw stakes a couple years ago, they work 'OK', but need to be longer. Plus if you hit anything, they break easy.

I haven't gotten around to getting a fancy set of stakes like many of you as I don't need for my roof top tent. I will say, a buddy of mine made a set of drill-able stakes, which cost him a fraction of some of the ones you have posted, however they don't 'bite' into the Earth all that well and they do pop out. But he has less than $2 invested into each one of these things as I recall.