Power limits with Anderson connections? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Power limits with Anderson connections?

Delon McFarland

Is there a limit of power you can send through an Anderson cable connection? I have some solar panels that I'm going to connect together. And looking at different cable options.

I use Andersons for most things.
In the small connectors I use pp30 and pp45. The 30 and 45 are the amp ratings. If your going to make your own cables, get the proper crimp tool.

I have my solar set up so I can easily add panels if needed. Because I use 10 gauge wire, I end up with the 45's.

If I need more power then I step up to the SB connectors. I don't see you needing that for solar.

Yes.
Part of my profession has been building and repairing wire looms. The cost of a proper crimper turns out to be less then buying something premade that isn't exactly what you need. Cables like this are simple and custom wiring guys get paid a ton.

I use these for terminals up to pp45
Crimper
What's nice is the flat end goes into a slot and keeps it out of the way.

These for the SB 50/75
Crimper

Something like this to get started on terminals
Terminal kit

EDIT: the terminal kit only goes to 12 gauge. You would need the bigger ones for 10 gauge.

On my cables, I slide the rubber boot up and seal the back with marine grade shrink tubing. The marine grade has a resin in it, gluing everything in place.