Overlanding with an EV | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Overlanding with an EV

Lone Traveler

I just watched another thread here about someone camping in a Cybertruck. Which didn't look very comfortable. Curious on what the general consensus is regarding timeline for adaptation of EV for overlanding?

Another issue no seems to address is the strength of the suspension and steering. Sure, you can overland in a Civic but the ball joints, knuckles and steering are already weak. Now your putting bigger tires and subjecting them to rough roads at least.

I'm not going to spend all that money for an EV just to be stranded somewhere because the ball joint didn't hold up to three years of dirt road driving.
For example, the Cyber Truck. I've examined this thing closely. This is a street truck (a very heavy street truck) with very little clearance. From a fabricator standpoint, I would have to completely remake the suspension and steering just to worry how the chassis holds up. People are blinded by the "EV" trend and wanting to "Overland" anything they can get u-tube views on.

Look at those Idiots who put the snow treads on the Cyber Truck. They only did it for U-Tube views. Every time it broke, the guy commented that it wasn't their parts that failed. I hate to say it but a Subaru Outback has stronger steering and suspension then a Cyber Truck.

If I drove any of them off road, I would be replacing it after a year of ownership.