Mounting spare tire on 4runner, mounting question?? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Mounting spare tire on 4runner, mounting question??

Allie S

I think I mentioned that I have a Toyota 4runner which of course came with the 32.7" BF Goodrich All-Terrain K02 tires. Oddly the spare tire is smaller a 31.6". From what I can read, some say you can run a full size spare, like running an air down tire which is what other truck owners do. But what if I want to to larger wheels all around? Am I going to be forced to get a bumper swing arm set up that weights a 1000lbs ?! Well I guess we could mount on the roof, but that would be a pain in the but to get down and would raise the center of gravity

I could really use some advice from you, thank you!

Keep it off the roof. I just had this conversation with my son about his 4runner. He doesn't want a bumper and swing out but he does want 33's. I don't like driving on a small spare. I've heard the same thing on just run the full size tires low. Your better off running with everything aired up and possibly making the ABS unhappy. Depending on the tire and the pressure, you could ruin a set of tires if you had to drive any distance at speed.
Looks like you have a good reason for a new bumper. Don't stop there though, Your truck wont be matched front to rear. Gonna need a new front bumper. Cant have a new front bumper with out a winch and lights. I think the last part is actually federal law but, don't quote me on it.