KC Gravity 6 alternatives? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

KC Gravity 6 alternatives?

Morning. Not neccessarily how they connect, but in general. Looking for other light bar options. This is a big spend, so making sure 100% getting something that gives me most of what I would want from it.

When it comes to lights, the two top brands are Ridged and KC. The reason for this is how they focus the light. Most people will never notice the difference though. I run Ridged's and when I'm traveling at night with my group, you can see the difference.

On a side note, you will always get a better pattern from single large reflector lights compared to a bar. If you ever get to sit down with one of the engineers from KC or Ridged, ask about the differences in light design.

When it comes to lights, the two top brands are Ridged and KC. The reason for this is how they focus the light. Most people will never notice the difference though. I run Ridged's and when I'm traveling at night with my group, you can see the difference.

On a side note, you will always get a better pattern from single large reflector lights compared to a bar. If you ever get to sit down with one of the engineers from KC or Ridged, ask about the differences in light design.
Are you saying you can see the difference between KC and Ridged?

Worded like that no. Some lights you can compare by brand but, you should compare by design
Ridged and KC use the same concepts of lens/reflector. That's what makes them top of the line.
Today, I compare the lights between all of my friends rigs and what we see when were out.

As I mentioned earlier, some people will never see the difference. Lighting has always been one of my obsession's. Years ago (80's) I sat down with one of the engineers from Hella. We spoke about reflector design, lens design and focusing.

What prompted this for me was most of my friends were into desert racing. There were a number of races during the night. Blasting through the desert in the middle of the night, you learn what works and what doesn't. I wanted to know why.

The technology evolved during the 90's and we got HID. This is when people started getting serious about design. Now LED comes out. There's a huge growth in the industry and a bunch of new companies emerge. Some of the companies go out of their way to produce superior design lights. Others just put something out there that "sort of" does a good job. Most people will never see the difference.

When I say Ridged and KC are the top brands of off road lighting, its because they have the resources to research and improve. About five years ago I was talking to one of the guys from Hella about their products. He was a bit dismayed because the cooperate side didn't want to evolve their LED lights and they no longer made the HID. The cooperate mind set was, just put out a product. Who cares if it works as long as people buy it.

Things I look at.
Cut off, beam pattern, how much the light scatters and color. If you want your lights to work properly, you have to match these to your application. Otherwise your just throwing light out there.

Yes and no. I had an incredible high school electronics instructor then made it two years into my EE degree and life got in the way.
Electronics has been one of my major hobbies until I got interested in suspensions. Since then I've taken random online ME classes on subjects that interest me. My wife still beats me up for not finishing my EE. If I could start over I would have went mechanical instead of electrical. I just seem to enjoy that more.