How to track down electrical problem 2018 Jeep JK? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How to track down electrical problem 2018 Jeep JK?

Derek Kross

I have a JT, however my wifes JK has issue at night when you hit a bump, all the lights flicker at the rate you hit bumps. I've checked the battery connections and all is good there. I'm not a mechanical, but comfortable in my garage.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Derek

When the lights flicker, does anything else change? Dash lights, gauges.........
1st step in electrical diag is verify and look for a pattern. This you did.
2nd is see what else is effected at the same time.

If it was a main power feed, it would be more then lights. If it was the feed to the headlight switch, it would be markers and dash lights also. if its an output to headlights is it both high and low.
Wiring diagram is going to be a must also. Some systems are controlled direct from a switch, others the switch controls a relay and some, you throw a computer into the mix.
Get as much info as possible and see what they have in common.

Thank you both for the answers.

No, just the lights on the truck flicker. Nothing new has been added to the truck, this is only happening when you get bumps. However what I did notice last night is when driving on normal pavement the lights seem to dim and fizzle a little. Damn, not sure if that makes sense, they don't go off, but they dim back and forth from ~75% to 100%. I hope that makes sense and I'm estimating here. Just trying to explain what I saw.

If its just the lights High and Low, the ground is what's in common. If its just Low or Just High now we look toward whatever powers them, Headlight switch or relay. Has the vehicle been hit in the front or has the front been apart. This could be as simple as pulling headlights or as much as front clip.