Hindrances Because of Defender's Switch to Unibody? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Hindrances Because of Defender's Switch to Unibody?

Car1

I've been seriously thinking about a Defender, the 90, because of its excellent approach, breakover, and departure angles. However, has anyone experienced any issues specifically related to the Defender being unibody rather than body on frame?

My neighbor has a 1990 defender 110, and that truck is rock solid. That guy beats that truck too. I should say he isn't afraid to drive it for what it was made for.

Nothing wrong with modern Unibody. Strong and smooth riding. I'm assuming your talking about the L663 (2019-present). I like the way they still look like the older ones.

The problem with the new ones is there is so much plastic used, it doesn't feel as rugged as the old school models IMHO.

Full disclosure - I don't know squat about the Defender and wasn't even searching on these, however I just went to YouTube after reading some posts on this site and this thread was not one of them. However YouTube put this video in front of me and I watched it. It's worth watching if you have questions on the new Defender and how it may or may not be a good fit for overlanding: