Forced Authority Dorothy MK 2 Wind mill power output?? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Forced Authority Dorothy MK 2 Wind mill power output??

I remember seeing one of these called Sunflower or something like that a couple years ago. I don't think it produced much more than at most 20W. This does look a little larger though.

I remember seeing one of these called Sunflower or something like that a couple years ago. I don't think it produced much more than at most 20W. This does look a little larger though.

I know which one you are talking about, that was much smaller than this one. This looks like something that might deliver some decent results. It really depends on that motor assembly.

Those originated with sail boats.
25 odd years ago they were the rage. When I would go to my events, I would see about a dozen of them. They work out here very well due to the amount of wind. Solar was still expensive and not real good either.

These guys want $3,800 for something they dont give specs on. WOW. The overland tax is high on that one.

The 500 watt ones start at $400 and ive seen 1500 watt go for about $1500. Close to a dollar a watt.
The propellors are light and come off easily. One of my buddies packed his away in a Pelican case. he had a short pole he would mount to the back of his motor home. I always wanted one but never got it.

No kidding. Even on their FB page, the founder talking about how awesome this is, fails to disclose any power specs from this. I like the idea that you can be farming energy 24/7, but they have to understand people need to know what they can expect. Especially if they are charging big coin for something like this.

They must have some issues with their numbers, I can't see any other reason why they would intentionally leave out such an important bit of information. They are pre selling too, I'm surprised people would even buy this without knowing what benefits they would get from it.

smritte, you mean to tell me this thing is 1500 watt or greater?
Sort of. I would rather find the specs. Almost all of the reasonable ones are around 400 watt

Heres a cheap 5 blade on amazon that claims 1200 watt Generator Working speed is (get this) 78 mph
Another that claims 400 watt and looks exactly the same as the 1200 watt Generator This one says working output is @29 mph but will start making power at 10 mph
This is a name brand that claims 400 watt@28 mph wind. Generator $1500

The small ones we would use are around 400 watts. If you get the cheaper ones, they can be affordable. The name brands can get expensive. The price structure is somewhat like diesel heaters. The good ones are 2k but the $150 ones work just as well.

If you search out sailboat wind generators vs solar, you find solar wins out. Most of the wind generators need at least 10-20 mph wind to be effective and they can be noisy, There was always one or two in my camp, I didn't mind the noise but, they weren't attached to my vehicle either.

Out here in the desert it's breezy half the time. That means half the time I would be relying on solar. Also breezy means around 10 mph.
I would also want to be base camped and not roving. With solar being affordable, I don't see us using them.

On the other hand, if I went into the trailer building business, having one attached to the side would draw people. The initial "cool factor" is overwhelming.

Forgot to add this.
1hp= 754 watts. 1 hp is actually quite a bit. Imagine how much wind energy it takes to just produce 750 watts of power. Now visualize how much area you need for the blades. I wouldn't be surprised if these things only averaged 50-100 watts in normal breezy conditions. If I ever bought one, it would be an off brand for about $150.

Sort of. I would rather find the specs. Almost all of the reasonable ones are around 400 watt

Heres a cheap 5 blade on amazon that claims 1200 watt Generator Working speed is (get this) 78 mph
Another that claims 400 watt and looks exactly the same as the 1200 watt Generator This one says working output is @29 mph but will start making power at 10 mph
This is a name brand that claims 400 watt@28 mph wind. Generator $1500

The small ones we would use are around 400 watts. If you get the cheaper ones, they can be affordable. The name brands can get expensive. The price structure is somewhat like diesel heaters. The good ones are 2k but the $150 ones work just as well.

If you search out sailboat wind generators vs solar, you find solar wins out. Most of the wind generators need at least 10-20 mph wind to be effective and they can be noisy, There was always one or two in my camp, I didn't mind the noise but, they weren't attached to my vehicle either.

Out here in the desert it's breezy half the time. That means half the time I would be relying on solar. Also breezy means around 10 mph.
I would also want to be base camped and not roving. With solar being affordable, I don't see us using them.

On the other hand, if I went into the trailer building business, having one attached to the side would draw people. The initial "cool factor" is overwhelming.

That "cool" factor you are talking about is the wind generator right?