Experience with the newer D4D Toyota engines? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Experience with the newer D4D Toyota engines?

PradoOverland

I have a 1998 90 series Land Cruiser Prado with the 1KZ 3L turbo Diesel engine. The old girl is getting tired now and I am thinking it may be time for an upgrade. I have my eye on a new 120 series Prado with the D4D engine. However, the D4Ds are far more complicated than the 1KZ.

My question is wether the d4d is as reliable as the older engines as I love my current prado due to it's simplicity

They are still pretty reliable mate just not as reliable os the older ones.

My mate has a prado just like the one you are thinking of buying with 350k kms and it is still going strong.

I wouldn't avoid the upgrade as the new engines are still very good.

They are still reliable mate. Definatelly a bit more sensitive than the older ones but interns of longevity if looked after they can easily hit the 400k km mark.

Just check the one you are buying has a solid base and go for it. The 120 is more comfy than the 90, not as good looking though. I friend of mine had both over in the UK

Good engines, powerful and reliable. Obviously not as reliable as the older ones but for a newer style engine they are pretty good.