Do people buy winches for the right reasons? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Do people buy winches for the right reasons?

Ryan Frost Outdoors

A buddy of mine was over at the house yesterday with his newly outfitted Toyota. Which looked great, so nothing to say there. However he had a big old 12,000 Warn winch on this thing, and I asked why so big and Warn? "It looks cool and colors matched my truck". :oops::ROFLMAO: he's a very good friend, so I had a laugh over his reasoning. But this got me thinking, do people put much thought into a winch purchase? I think he spent more $$ than he had to. Makes you wonder how many are buying just for the sake of having a "winch" on the front of their rigs because it looks cool?

Over the years I've watched people do things like that. They want to be one of the "cool kids". Out here, unless your into rocks, there's very little use for a winch but everyone has one. If you want to look at it differently, why have an axe, shovel, traction boards....all mounted to your rack but never go off road?

Most of those are the ones who dump thousands into a toy and find they never used it. Now they try to sell it for what they have invested only to find out its not worth that.

I have a winch on my Cruiser and I can honestly say, I have never used it. I have on the other hand literally worn out cables and motors on my other vehicles. I probably didn't need to buy one but, I always have had one.

Ask yourself, how often do you use your winch? Now you might have used yours, but I would bet most with one haven't. Leading to, most have something that is overkill and bumper ornament.

I know a number of people who have never used their winches. So yeah, people don't buy winches for the right reasons. When you never go offroad, you don't need one and it just is decoration.

Vanity part? Say it isn't so! LOL I know a few with winches who have no clue what a winch is even for