Diesel heater maintenance? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Diesel heater maintenance?

Kyle Martin

So we bought one of those Planar diesel heaters a couple months ago. Is there any maintenance that should be done to this thing after XX number of hours? End of winter season anything special need to be done for storage?

Mine is about a year old. I was told by others to run some kerosene through it once in a while. Dont know if kerosene is more of a solvent than diesel. Someone had mentioned diesel can have more contaminants. I bought some to run through it on my next trip just in case.

One thing I am working on is a filter for the main air intake. I mostly camp in dusty areas. If its windy, I can see pulling dust in and blowing it into my trailer.
I was at an event last month in the desert and was walking around looking at the diffrent rigs and camp set ups. There were quite a few diesel heaters. The ones that didn't look new were dirty at the intake.
For now I just blow backwards to dislodge any dirt it picked up.

I would just empty the tank at the end of the season so you don't have all that spoiling in there and messing up your internals.

Check the manual, but there should be a scheduled maintenance plan in there somewhere. I know the oil has to be changed every so often, but how many hours depends on the specific make/model, probably also depending on where/how it's mounted and how much heat buildup happens on the Diesel engine itself.

I would just empty the tank at the end of the season so you don't have all that spoiling in there and messing up your internals.

Something that so many people overlook. This should be done with all gas and diesel gear that you have that doesn’t get used year round.