Converting winch cable from metal to synthetic? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Converting winch cable from metal to synthetic?

Nate & Liz

We have a Warn winch with a metal cable that we would like to convert to synthetic. How easy or difficult of a job is this? Any special tools needed?

Just unspool and respool. Go on their site and look up your winch. Some winch's have a screw or bolt on the end, some just tuck the cable into a slot.
Make sure you keep good tension on the cable when you do it. If your fairlead is grooved from the cable, replace it.

Thank you, seeing it has a wedge holding it in place. How often should you extend your winch line and real it back up? Does it differ from metal and synthetic?

If you used it, spool out and retention it. The line never spools evenly when used. If you got it muddy, especially wet sand, spool it out and clean it (Synth only). If you haven't used it in a year or more, you need to spool out a bit and put it back. The motor brush's can corrode. This keeps them cleaned off.
This reminds me, I need to do that again.

Yeah, about every 12 months let it out and respool it back up. Honestly it's just good practice and preventive measures. I have winch on front of truck and one on a utility trailer, and if I don't use, I always unwind and run it back up each year.