Buying complete van OR provide van to be customized? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Buying complete van OR provide van to be customized?

Sparky

My wife has been pushing me to pick up a customized van, something we can travel and explore and have more comfortable features. These vans I have noticed have some higher price tags and I want to see where I can shave off a few bucks.

So - rather than the builder making money off me from the van cost AND what they do, does it make sense to buy a van, then send the van to a builder to be customized? Will that save $$?

If you have it already, that could be the better path. But if you are lucky, a good shop will likely get better pricing then you could get. So I would recommend ask the shop. Know ahead of time what those vans run for.

UGH....I want an off road van. I just don't know if I want another project.
BTW. how much you thinking of spending and are you planning on taking it off road.

We attended the van expo in Big Bear a few months ago, seriously these vans have become insane. The tech and amenities they are putting in these is pretty awesome. We hope to get one towards the end of this year. As for OP original question: If I had the time, I would love build one. But I don't have the time so I would recommend just calling around, see what price is if they find one for you vs you giving keys and having them custom it out.

BTW. how much you thinking of spending and are you planning on taking it off road.

We have been looking at a van as we have decided we want the hard walls. There is such a big gap in price with these sort of vans. But what I have noticed is if you have a budget of $140k to $160k, you are going to get one hell of a AWD van. Then of course prices keeping going higher, way higher. Just saying we have found if you do your homework, you can find very well equipped options for that range.

High end $185,000. Now that said, if we can cut that down and manage not to lose any features that would be great. With this being a big purchase just looking at any ways we can trim some fat off the price. Back in June of this year we sold our summer cabin with the plan that we would invest a part of that into a camper van, something that we can get the same enjoyment our cabin gave us, except now no limitations on where we can take that enjoyment. Well within reason of course.

High end $185,000. Now that said, if we can cut that down and manage not to lose any features that would be great. With this being a big purchase just looking at any ways we can trim some fat off the price. Back in June of this year we sold our summer cabin with the plan that we would invest a part of that into a camper van, something that we can get the same enjoyment our cabin gave us, except now no limitations on where we can take that enjoyment. Well within reason of course.

$185,000 will get you into a nice rig

Yeah we might be jumping to the van life in 2024. Don’t have the time to build anything. Would be nice, but just no spare time. So complete ready to go van for me.

As much as I like building things, I'm to a point now, I would just rather buy one already done.

As much as I like building things, I'm to a point now, I would just rather buy one already done.
We were just talking about that last night. While I think it would be fun, do I really want to deal with all the logistics of dealing with a build. Leaning towards turn key.

Ever since catching my first wave, I've been hooked on the thrill of the ocean and the freedom of the open road. I've always envisioned myself cruising along the coast in a Mercedes Sprinter van, the perfect balance of surf-ready ruggedness and sleek, professional style. A friend that I knew from those days had a van that they lived out of, they were living the life. Its spacious interior is ideal for stowing my surfboards and gear, while also serving as a mobile office where I can stay connected with my business clients. By day, I'd conquer the waves; by night, I'd be mapping out business strategies under the stars. I've meticulously planned every detail, from a custom rack for my boards to a cozy, efficient workspace. Balancing my love for the surf with my professional ambitions, the Sprinter van represents the perfect synergy of my two worlds. With years of hard work and careful planning behind me, I'm almost ready to make this dream a reality. In the next couple of years, I see myself driving my own Sprinter, embodying the spirit of a surfer with the mind of a businesswoman, ready to tackle both the tides and the corporate tide.