Anyone considering an electric truck for overlanding adventures? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Anyone considering an electric truck for overlanding adventures?

DRAX

I must say, the gears are starting to turn. BUT I have big concerns about charging an EV truck when off grid. Solar would take forever with current technology. Would a 2000w generator even put a dent into charging one of these batteries in a EV?

Not yet mate, the technology isn't good enough to be trusted and charged in the middle of nowhere so I don't think it will be efficient using an EV during off road adventures

Yes, my wife and I were just talking about the Rivian R1S. Though we are holding out for the max range model with 400+ miles.

Every time I'm at the pump I do. I'm going to wait till 2023 and see if popular trailheads have charging stations.

Agree, let's see the trailhead network. But I think I would be OK even if they didn't have. I would just not explore as much, which takes the fun out of camping. I like to explore, so if there are NO trailhead chargers I will have to be responsible. Also something to think about, which will suck - unless they do the trailhead chargers right, things could get bad for offroading locations. For example, if they only put a few chargers at trailheads, those trailheads with the chargers will get an increase of traffic vs normally spread out.

Absolutely! Look at my avatar here. Nothing I own yet, just a truck I love. But truth be told, I'm holding out for the Rivian R1S. But they keep pushing it back, so was kind of hoping to have something this upcoming summer. Not sure if that is going to happen. Personally I want the long range.