All ferro rod spark temps the same?? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

All ferro rod spark temps the same??

Flatlander

I just saw an ad on FB from Uberleben talking about their hottest ferror rod ever created, something like 5,500F and ignite even wet wood. I have a ferro rod, but know it's not from these guys. I thought they were all kind of the same minus brand name.

So is there a difference in temps in these things?

Pretty sure, the things that are different are thickness and handles. Not a lot of things to be different at.

The temp will be the same as long as the sparks the same size. The spark temp is around 5430 degrees but the high temp isn't all you need. Its too quick to evaporate the water enough to burn. The key is to heat it long enough to remove the water. How much and how long is based on size and amount of water.

Some Ferro Rods also have a magnesium bar attached. Magnesium burns at 5610 degrees. Their ad is misleading. You scrape off a pile of magnesium and ignite it with the rod. If your pile is real big, you can possibly put out enough heat to dry the wet wood.

One of my rods has a large bar of magnesium attached. I've set down and tried to make a camp fire from wet wood. The problem I ran into was, "IF" I had a very large pile of shavings I could set a piece of wood on fire but, the wood didn't put out enough heat to dry the rest.

To use this properly, your not burning wood to start, I start with dry grass then very small twigs in a pyramid and work my way up. I don't see any way possible to generate enough heat to bypass those steps especially with just a rod. Enough magnesium and you can start with the small dry twigs.
So yes its possible with magnesium but the quantity is going to be huge.