4x4 worth the money for winter driving? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

4x4 worth the money for winter driving?

RVthere

We have been driving around the states in RV's for the last 20 years and have started to consider perhaps scaling back in size. A friend had forwarded me this article https://www.4wdtalk.com/best-overlanding-vans-of-2023/ yesterday, which is on par with some of the vans we have been looking at. Now my question for this overlanding site, with Sprinter 144 conversion van, is 4x4 absolutely needed and worth it for winter driving?

I guess that depends on where you go and your driving skill. In my off road group we have a loaded high roof sprinter. he mostly stays to dirt roads in 2wd. Occasionally a bit of sand, mud or rut makes him go to 4wd.
90% of my driving is 2wd. I tend to take the harder routes. Sometimes I keep it there just for the challenge. It is nice to pop it into 4wd sometimes just to make it easier.

So...for myself and my group, were only restriction is ground clearance. Also for me 4x4 is needed for winter. Others may disagree, again it all depends on where you want to go.

Thank you for the response. Well I guess I would like to think I'm a good driver. Now watch my luck I go off the road tomorrow. Really though, I grew up driving Colorado mountain roads. We live in Arizona now and don't get into much snow with our larger RVs. But plan on hitting the mountains with our new camper van. But need to figure out if 2wd will do the trick or will I need to pony up and get the 4x4 versions.

If you buy new, pretty sure Sprinters are now AWD vs 4x4. So now you have computers on your side which will keep it in 2wd until you need it.

We are ordering a Sprinter in 2024 towards April or May and that was one of the first 'must have's for us. Not only for winter driving, but over all getting off the pavement, AWD gives you a little more peace of mind.

4wd all the way! Even if you don't explore into situations where it's needed much, when you do need it, that one time - you'll be happy you have it!

If you are OK with the added $$ cost of owning an AWD, it's always worth the peace of mind. Your rig will drive better on the road, get you out of tough spots and handle better.

4x4 is always worth the $$ unless you have something you will keep on dry pavement most of its life.

I guess that depends on where you go and your driving skill. In my off road group we have a loaded high roof sprinter. he mostly stays to dirt roads in 2wd. Occasionally a bit of sand, mud or rut makes him go to 4wd.
90% of my driving is 2wd. I tend to take the harder routes. Sometimes I keep it there just for the challenge. It is nice to pop it into 4wd sometimes just to make it easier.

So...for myself and my group, were only restriction is ground clearance. Also for me 4x4 is needed for winter. Others may disagree, again it all depends on where you want to go.

Yep, that's the key "depends on where you want to go". That and skill level and comfort. Having 4x4 is a nice peace of mind to have regardless of all of this.