Winch cable/ rope ratings? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Winch cable/ rope ratings?

Pam H

When it comes to total vehicle weight and if you plan to tow something, how much over should you go for winch cable/rope rating?

Are you planning on towing or winching? If towing, do you mean pulling out someone who's stuck or towing a vehicle behind another? If winching, are you wanting to know what line to buy based on vehicle weight?

We are adding the winch for emergencies, so technically hope we don't ever need to use it. But yes, noticed that winches are sold in different weights and trying to understand which one to get? Thank you!

Modern winch's are built better than older ones. In the past the cheaper ones were solid junk but have gotten considerably better over the years. Modern Wranglers are in the 4500 pound range with the Gladiator hitting around 5000 pound (unmodified) Both of those I would size no smaller then a 9.5 and no bigger than 10k-12k. My Cruiser is 6400 pounds and I'm set up with a 12k ComeUp winch.
I had an 8k Superwinch on my CJ. 4500 pound vehicle. It did well. When I got my 04 Wrangler I replaced it with a 12k Warn. I eventually found out my friends with the 9.5 winch's did just as well, slightly smaller and drew less power.
When it comes to cables, if you get one of the 12k cheaper winch's, they tend to come with larger cables. This means less length. Its nice to have around 100 foot of cable. I have no experience with the lesser brand cables, so I cant comment on quality. I ran steel cables on my old winch's because I used them more as a work tool than recovery. The rocks out here trashed synthetic rope. My current winch has a good synthetic.

Your going to want a good short strap (tree saver), possibly a longer strap, a good pulley and some clevises.
Over the years, most of my recoveries used a strap or traction boards. Very few needed a winch. I run one mostly because I go out solo but am careful where I drive (sort of).

Twice a year, run the cable in and out. The biggest issue with winch's is corrosion in the motor from sitting. You don't want to have to use it and have it not work.

Modern winch's are built better than older ones. In the past the cheaper ones were solid junk but have gotten considerably better over the years. Modern Wranglers are in the 4500 pound range with the Gladiator hitting around 5000 pound (unmodified) Both of those I would size no smaller then a 9.5 and no bigger than 10k-12k. My Cruiser is 6400 pounds and I'm set up with a 12k ComeUp winch.
I had an 8k Superwinch on my CJ. 4500 pound vehicle. It did well. When I got my 04 Wrangler I replaced it with a 12k Warn. I eventually found out my friends with the 9.5 winch's did just as well, slightly smaller and drew less power.
When it comes to cables, if you get one of the 12k cheaper winch's, they tend to come with larger cables. This means less length. Its nice to have around 100 foot of cable. I have no experience with the lesser brand cables, so I cant comment on quality. I ran steel cables on my old winch's because I used them more as a work tool than recovery. The rocks out here trashed synthetic rope. My current winch has a good synthetic.

Your going to want a good short strap (tree saver), possibly a longer strap, a good pulley and some clevises.
Over the years, most of my recoveries used a strap or traction boards. Very few needed a winch. I run one mostly because I go out solo but am careful where I drive (sort of).

Twice a year, run the cable in and out. The biggest issue with winch's is corrosion in the motor from sitting. You don't want to have to use it and have it not work.
Try this winch rope from YUNFUER and it won't disappoint;););););)https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CKLQ9CL8