When in doubt throttle out: True or False? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

When in doubt throttle out: True or False?

Trail Mule

I'm sure you have heard this before: "When in doubt throttle out". So do you agree with this or disagree?

Very circumstantial.

Most of the "New People" destroying vehicles that I've watched were due to too much throttle.
Steep sidehill. Vehicle starts slipping sideways and your going to roll. You have two options to save it. Turn up and throttle, hoping you have somewhere to go and your not sliding backwards. Turn down and throttle. Your ending up at the bottom but your chance of survival is better. Obviously in both of those (especially down hill) you let off when your straight.

Sometimes I need a little more velocity for sand but too much throttle and I just dug in hard.

Last weekend when I was on the trail. The center rock garden was covered in large, round, wet, sandy rocks. Very poor traction. We waited on another group to get through ahead of us. The last guy caught air a couple couple of times because he couldn't get his tires to bite. I was surprised his vehicle still ran after. His problem was two fold. His spotter sucked and he was clueless regarding driving technique (actually, they all were). We drove through without issue and they were all big tired, locked vehicles.

Give it the beans Vern! ha ha ha, yeah it depends on what sort of mess I'm in.

Ah, the classic "When in doubt, throttle out" saying. I've heard this one plenty of times in offroad circles. It's a catchy phrase and in some off-road situations, giving it a bit more gas can indeed help to power through soft spots like sand or mud. But, let's be real - it's not a one-size-fits-all piece of advice.

In many scenarios, especially on technical trails or when facing obstacles, patience, careful wheel placement, and a measured approach are far more effective (and safer) than just hammering down on the throttle. Going full throttle can result in broken parts, getting even more stuck, or worse, an unsafe situation.

So, while it's a fun saying and can work in certain situations, it's crucial to judge each scenario individually. Sometimes the answer might be to throttle out, other times it could be to back off, reassess, and find another way. Always prioritize safety and the well-being of your vehicle and passengers! Safe travels out there!

Air down and crawl out. But there are times when giving it the juice is he only option. So just use best judgement at the time of needing to get out.