What's the big deal with "Jet Boil"? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

What's the big deal with "Jet Boil"?

Flatlander

Help me understand the attraction with a Jet Boil cooker. I have seen a couple different bloggers this past week talking about using one of these for cooking. But what I don't understand is the cooking pot that it comes with is so small. So what's the attraction?

Backpacking/single serving. Small compact size. You can get a small pot/ban adapter so you can use a small cook kit. Back packing I mostly eat dried food and only need to boil water. I don't own one, my backpack stove is a small whisper lite, gas stove.

Jet Boil uses butane. Butane has more heat output than propane. High elevations and cold is where propane works poorly.
I have an old Coleman single burner propane stove, I keep stored in my cruiser. When I'm out by myself it works well but it takes up a bit of room. The Jet Boil would work better and take up less room but now I need to buy several of the cartridges. I would benefit from it but rarely camp just out of my Cruiser, by myself.

1. If you solo and don't need to make a ton of food, their nice. If all your cooking evolves around a cup of coffee in the morning, again their nice.
2. If you already have a single burner stove that works, they probably take up less room.
3. If you camp at high elevations, you should have bought something similar by now.
4. If you want to boil water faster, they rock

That's about all I know. I have a few friends that own them. Most bought because their cool but actually needed more than one burner. One of my buddies only uses his for morning coffee because its easier then pulling out his two burner stove. He camps solo out of his 4Runner.

trecking-alpin-schweiz-mehrtaegig-wandern-mit-zelt_5711.jpeg

It is lightweight and quick. My wife own one and I did start to love the quickness for a early coffe.

Too the package size is nice and it is lightweigt,

We often not just do overlanding, we also love to do trecking in the alpes by feet. Trips for 2-3 days, sleeping in a tent.

For overlanding a jetboil it is an additional device, because you dont will cook meals on it - dunno if we would carry it, if we not own them anyway.

trippin

Trippin, that is such a beautiful camping spot! Do you need to hike to that location or is your truck near by?