What mileage did you purchase your overlanding rig? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

What mileage did you purchase your overlanding rig?

Overland Shark

Home sick today and looking to make a little conversion.

What mileage did your truck have when you purchased it? Any rebuilds or issues?

Mine was new in 2020 and had 17 miles on it. It's now sitting at 39,700, no major issues. Did have minor brake issue last year, but dealer fixed that on their time.

Bought new on the ‘20 JT, it had just a few miles on it when I bought it. No issues either.

Tacoma was new. Cruiser had 180k.

I've been criticized over the money I spent on the Cruiser bringing it up to what I want in reliability. Most people buy high milage and drive it till it dies, complaining how it left them stranded and how much of a money pit it is. People don't "want" to know everything has a life span including electronics.

In 1996 my Cruiser sold for 45k. Small parts will have started wearing out around 50k (water pump, alternator) with major parts starting at 100k. When I bought this $45k truck for $6k with 180k miles, it was fairly worn.

Around $20k and I have a (mostly) new interior, completely rebuilt drive line, mostly new weather stripping and all my mods, most of which are significant upgrades for hard offroad use. $20k to own a rebuilt $45k vehicle that I've always wanted. Sounds like a deal to me.

How much again is a new Land Cruiser?

Main rig: new

I have a 1987 Toyota pickup that is a project of mine, that has 268,493 miles on it. But that is getting a LS2 conversion in it in spring.

99' Cherokee Sport - about 200K - probably original miles, original motor. I6 4.0 High Output. At first after buying it from a guy on FB Marketplace in Fallon, Nevada, had issues ranging from rear diff, ready to grenade - Did not know what that loud sound from the rear was on the way back to CA... LOL --- (upgraded to 8.25 - now solid with stock LSD) - a few other minor electrical things to fix, Would not smog, found that top of gas tank had be punctured - fixed now. So far so good. Have taken it on some narely trails a few times, roughly bone stock and it held its own against a range of massively upgraded Jeeps and Yodas. I was pretty impressed with what it could do with almost no $$ put into anything extra. Creek crossing in 2' of water, and massive boulders, and 45 deg uphills in 4x4 low gears. Climbed like a champ. Was not even nervous. Next trail was the one up to Leavitt lake, which is pretty serious, but not rock climbing or anything. I am sold. Jeep for life!

TransAfrica-Flyer.jpg

The Landcruiser did come with 1.5km at 2011 - brand new. V8 Biturbo Diesel with 289 hp and 650nm - and the driving comfort of a Mercedes S-Class.

To know the history of my car was important for my transafrica and other remote trips. How well is the vehicle maintained? Which the vehicle had to survive till today?

Now, for trips nearby of the civilisation I wouldnt care so much about the milage and history when considering a new overlanding vehicle. We have mobile/ham/satellite messenger and are able to get backup in a short timeframe, if something happens.

trippin

TransAfrica-Flyer.jpg

The Landcruiser did come with 1.5km at 2011 - brand new. V8 Biturbo Diesel with 289 hp and 650nm - and the driving comfort of a Mercedes S-Class.

To know the history of my car was important for my transafrica and other remote trips. How well is the vehicle maintained? Which the vehicle had to survive till today?

Now, for trips nearby of the civilisation I wouldnt care so much about the milage and history when considering a new overlanding vehicle. We have mobile/ham/satellite messenger and are able to get backup in a short timeframe, if something happens.

trippin

So, SO awesome!!!! Man I bet you have some stories to tell!

My Gladiator was new when I got it with 17 miles on it. My truck before this (Jeep) I had bought used and it had as I recall 14,000 miles on it when I bought it.

2011 Ram 2500 had (I think) 259,000 miles on it when I got it last year. Runs fine, but I expect things to wear out. I will just upgrade as I go.